Lets talk about 1/4 scale cars here!!
mtmoore1

Quarter scale drag racing still alive.

Post by mtmoore1 »

Check-out indyrcdragway.com
Mike Moore
mtmoore1

Post by mtmoore1 »

Schedule for indyrcdragway.com should be posted soon. We have a new location with a new program for quarter scale drag racing.
Mike Moore
Pro-Max Performance
mtmoore1

Post by mtmoore1 »

Indy R/C Dragway Schedule
Quarter scale cars: Quick 8
April 3
May 1
June 5
July 10
Aug. 14
Sept. 25 Big Dog Shootout (no points)
Quarter scale cars will run heads-up.
Any car running more than 30cc's will be subject to a weight penalty to be determined by the competition committee. For more information check-out indyrcdragway.com
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

I wish you guys were closer. I would love to check it out. The 1/4 scale drag racing scene has gone away here :(
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
mtmoore1

Post by mtmoore1 »

New address for Indy R/C Dragway
1500 E. Main
Brownsburg IN 46112
Mike Moore
Pro-Max Performance
mtmoore1

Post by mtmoore1 »

Results for April 3 race at Indy RC Dragway
M. Moore ET. 4.008 30.5 mph W
H. Cork ET. 5.078 24.5 mph
Remember if you have any type of quarter scale car, come join the fun.
Mike Moore
Pro-Max Performance
www.promax.homestead.com
www.indyrcdragway.com
mtmoore1

Post by mtmoore1 »

2006 Celina RC Dragway Schedule (Quick 8 Quarter Scale)
Test and Tune 4/23
Race #1 5/7
Race #2 6/4
Race #3 7/9
Race #4 8/6
Race #5 9/17
Race #6 10/1
Registration 12 Noon
Racing 1:00 pm
For more info go to www.geocities.com/celinarcdragracing
mtmoore1

Post by mtmoore1 »

2006 Indy RC Dragway Schedule (Quarter Scale Quick 8)
April 30 Test and Tune
May 21 Race #1
June 25 Race #2
July 23 Race #3
Aug. 20 Race #4
Sept. 10 Race #5
Oct. 8 Race #6
For more info go to indyrcdragway.com
PRD Racing

Post by PRD Racing »

Thanks for posting all this, helps me keep up with what's going over this way and when. I'll get over there this summer.
Rob
mtmoore1

Post by mtmoore1 »

Rules for Indy R/C Dragway Quarter Scale Quick 8.
All cars, dragsters, funny cars and pro-stock cars will run in one class.
At any time during the course of the season rules can be changed to speed-up or slow down a certain type of car.
General Rules
1. Exhaust System: Mufflers or tune eipes permitted. Any configruation as long as it stays within the width of the car.
2. Fuel System: Fuel system and other components must be secure and away from heat or moving parts.
3. Clutch: All cars in competition must use a centrifugal clutch.
4. Brakes: All cars must show stopping ability an may be tested at any given time.
5. Carburetor: Must be stock factory carburetors. Only one carburetor per cylinder. Velocity stacks are permitted. Carburetor return-spring must be utilized to force throttle closed.
6. Air Filter: Not mandatory, but if used any make of filter may be used.
7. Engines: All engines must be of weed eater, chain saw, lawn blower origin. Other acceptable motors include any engine that is designed for hobby industry. Any car running more than 30cc's must add weight and run a gear to be determined by the Competition Committee.
8. Ignition: Must be spark plug type ignition. (No Glow engines)
9. Bodies: Bodies must be painted. Windows may be clear, darkened, tinted, or reflective, but must be differentiated from the main body color.
10. Radio: Must be FCC approved and on an approved ground frequency. All radios must have Fail Safe functions.
11. Receiver: Must be securely mounted.
12. Batteries: Must be securely mounted.
13. Kill Switch: Mandatory. Must be clearly marked and easily accessible under all situations.
14. Staging: Drivers must be able to stage their car without assistance.
mtmoore1

Post by mtmoore1 »

The last event on the Indy R/C Dragway schedule is the Big dog Shootout. Run what you brung and hope you brung enough. No points will be earned at this event.
Mike Moore
Pro-Max Performance
www.promax.homestead.com
PRD Racing

Post by PRD Racing »

Mike, Your rules state "Any car running more than 30cc's must add weight and run a gear to be determined by the Competition Committee". This creates a situation where a person may not have the "gear" you require and cannot meet your requirements and the weight you mentioned, is that additional weight over a set minimum (no weight minimums mentioned) or just add weight period no matter how heavy your car already is?
It sounds like your trying to create a fair playing field, but by equalizing all the cars involved. That will be difficult to do and take more than one event. Some will still have the advantage at the event until you get them dialed in.
For us to try to create a field of cars like full scale where the entire field is qualified within a couple of tenths of a second won't happen in these smaller scale cars since our cars are not "cookie cutter" cars like the full scale ones. Those cars all run the same parts. We will always have a extremely wide range of car styles and parts. We also have a wide range of people and some will have more knowledge and creativity than others. Unless 1/4 scale racing is done under the "bracket" style using dial in's, then someone will out do the rest causing harm to the hobby over time.
I am only mentioning this due to the "niche" this area of the hobby is and that for it to work, many people will have to travel to get there. No having to luxury to easily try it out like a few locals will. Motel expenses, gas, food, time, etc... all make it more serious for most. If the rules are questionable and the fairness of it all difficult to understand, then they will stay home.
I believe that the "bracket style" racing is the only way this area will grow. This allows all an opportunity to compete fairly no matter how fast your car is or isn't. No matter how much you know or don't know. Having a class for the "Bad Boys" is good too for those who want bragging rights, lol. "Run what you brung and hope you brung enough". For new people to see some car that is highly engineered and ballistic on the track, then consider getting involved knowing nothing about this most likely won't happen. "Too much for me" comment comes to mind as they wander off never to return.
This whole area is difficult to undertake, but I commend you for doing it. The rules can also be written in such extreme detail that it would take too much costly equipment and way too much time to tech the cars. We don't have the luxury like the NHRA does to have a week long event, lol. Bracket racing cures this as well by requiring very little rules. When I mentioned equipment, I was reffering to tech equipment to enforce the rules. I was involved with RC Pulling for many years and they had rules, but no way to enforce them. I never understood how we could have rules that were unenforcable. Examples are motor cc size, fuel octane, etc... Like your 30cc rule, how do we know if it's 30cc, 29cc, 35cc, etc... Just by asking them? If it can't be enforced, it shouldn't be written.
The other issue that comes to mind is the lack of manufacturers for drag cars. Non-existant actually. Ok, some have the tools, knowledge, etc to build their own; however, most do not. This doesn't allow growth or plan for a future. The bracket style allows the use of the current Grand National type cars that are available to compete and this helps. I mention this since it was the same in pulling. How do we grow when people walk up to us at the event and ask where to buy one and our only answer is "sorry, but you can get these anywhere". That's headed nowhere!
Don't misunderstand me, I would love the concept of heads up, run what you brung type racing, but I am thinking of the future, growth and longevity of it all more than anything I personally want. I am not too far from you and am building some drag cars now, so I would love to join you guys and race, so all this is important to me to be able to plan my involvement. When I say close, I am in North Tennessee near the Kentucy line. Probably 5 hours away. I drove 9+ hours to pull before, lol. Your alot closer, lol.
I hope you understand that I am only trying to help this area of the hobby and this is just my opinion is all. Having seen so many bad things happen to areas of the hobby over the past 25 years makes me offer my opinions sometimes. Most of the time nobody listens though, lol. I just want to help and want this to grow and prosper.
Rob
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

bracket style racing kicks ass. Bring what you got, fast or slow, mild or wild, everyone has a good time rich or poor. Especially with this scale, that would make it so people could make homemade jobs with what they have around the house.... these are toys for gods sake, most people pick on us for having them in the first place. :oops:
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
PRD Racing

Post by PRD Racing »

Thanks for the support guys!
I wanted to come back in here though and clear up any possibility of misunderstanding about my previous post. Mike Moore seems to be a great guy and he has done something where most do nothing but complain about no place to race. With that said, I appreciate what he has done and in no way was I picking on him personally at all!
My post is only intended to give ideas, opinions, etc and possibly help racing succeed and prosper. I hope Mike Moore can appreciate our comments and we can all work together in one way or the other to have some fun in the future.
Keep up the great job over there Mike!
Rob
mtmoore1

Post by mtmoore1 »

We started the club years ago running the quarter scale class called Top-Sportsman, which is IHRA's fast bracket class. If enough car cars want to run in a Top-Sportsman format or run the same car in both the heads-up class and Top-Sportsman I don't have a problem with that. (The same car in two different classes would I believe fall into second car price for entry fee) As for the rules, we are just trying to give a person with a small motor a place to race heads-up. The other problem we are trying to address is the same problem real cars are addressing is controling cost. Like other forms of racing you will have to spend money to stay with the pack. But beware if you spend an unlimited amount of money to gain too much of an advantage, officails are just going to slow you down. After doing some research into the rule books of NHRA, IHRA, Pro Top Outlaws, Quick Eight Racers Ass. NSCA,Big Dog and Piedmont Dragway and others they all have this one rule in common to help control cost. (Officials have the right to change the rules of any specific car or segment in order to maintain an even playing field.) When I lived in Pennsylvania I raced at the Nation events at Atco Dragway and New England Dragway when quarter scale drag racing was real big. And I will bet the farm that some people had bent the rules. At the events they did not check for cc's or weigh the cars which I'm not sure why they didn't. The thing our club both one tenth and quarter scale is interested in is racing,tuning,talking and having fun. If you are that much of a low life and a child that you have to bend the rules to win then stay away.